Wednesday 9 September 2009

Mr DeMille I'm ready for my close up.


Thought it was about time I did a blog and really made an effort to keep it up. My passion is cinema particularly classic movies from the earliest silents to 1960. I enjoy quite a few more recent movies too but I really believe that the Golden Age of Hollywood when the industry was dominated by a small number of major studios was the peak of the motion picture.

I've already done a fair bit online to celebrate classic movies. A website at goldenageofhollywood.co.uk , a weekly podcast at thegoldenageofhollywood.blogspot.com and a 5 year old messageboard (in October) which developed into a social network at goldenageofhollywood.ning.com .

So why a blog and why now ? The title 100 Years of Hollywood offers part of the answer, 2010 marks the 100th anniversary of the first filming in Hollywood by the great pioneer director D.W. Griffith. I thought it was worth marking that milestone.

My other inspiration came from my good friend film historian Maria Ciacca who co-hosts the podcast with me. I found she had contributed over 1000 reviews to imdb.com in the last few years. I felt it was something I should have done as I watch a lot of movies, the best always stay with you but I find myself forgetting the details of many. I felt then that even from my own viewpoint this was worth doing to keep a record of what I watch.

FWIW my screenings are in my room almost every night using a projector connected to my DVD player : I tend to do a different genre each night of the week : Monday is usually Comedy, Tuesday is Drama/Romance, Wednesday is Action/Adventure, Thursday is General (sometimes Action, Sci-Fi or Thriller), Friday is Thrillers, Saturday is Musicals and Sunday is Silent Films. Sometimes that order can change.

So what can you expect on the blog : well mainly reviews of classic movies though I hope to cover the whole first 100 years if you like of the "Hollywood" era though I won't be restricted to American or English language films and might very occasionally go before 1910.

No comments:

Post a Comment